Newsletter #40 – Monday, 21th December 2020.
Nettlestead, Priors Mead and HomeCare all remain at Implementation Level Two, although we do have a Staff Member testing Positive at Priors Mead.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
From everyone at Nightingales, we wish you all a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and to more normal and happier times returning as soon as possible!
We would also like to say a Huge Thank You to:
- All our Staff who, despite everything, have continued to look after our Residents and Clients so well;
- All our Families for their patience and strong support throughout, and;
- Particularly to our Residents and Clients for helping us to keep our sense of humour throughout!
New Coronavirus Variant
As you will know from Leo’s email of yesterday, the New Coronavirus Variant has our full attention. Whilst it does not seem to be any more harmful, we are aware that the more people who have any version of Coronavirus the more our defenses will be tested, and the greater the chances of the NHS Becoming Overwhelmed. We are therefore doubling down on our precautions to keep Residents, Clients and Staff safe until the Vaccine can take over and would ask that, until this happens, everyone is Extra Cautious Too.
We’ve just heard that Priors Mead Residents should be able to have their initial Vaccinations between 29th and 31st of December. We will let you know as soon as we have any news for Nettlestead, and expect HomeCare Clients to be contacted directly by their GPs as and when they reach the top of the Priority List.
Normal testing continues, with everyone continuing to test Negative save for a Night Carer at Priors Mead.
This staff member started to become symptomatic on Saturday, which she initially thought was just a cold. However, she lost her sense of taste and smell today, and so was tested and found to be Covid Positive. She has not been in the Home for six days, and we therefore feel the chances of her having infected anyone in the Home are low, but we are now testing the two Members of Staff she last worked with before they return to Priors Mead. The person concerned is now self isolating.
Pods and Visiting
The Nettlestead Pod is now open and able to accept Visitors, and we have high hopes that the Priors Mead Pod will be ready from Thursday onwards.
- A special thank you to Juliet, Ken’s Daughter, for sending all the staff delicious fresh doughnuts.
- Many Relatives have been dropping off gifts of chocolates, biscuits etc, so a Huge Thank You from everyone here!
- We are delighted to welcome Irene to the Nettlestead Family and hope she enjoys her first Christmas with us.
- We would like to say a heartfelt Merry Christmas to all of you and look forward to seeing everyone in the New Year!
- Once again, the Bickley Arms have donated a huge amount of fresh food, milk and eggs as they have been forced into lockdown, Thank You!!!
- Please join us in extending a warm welcome to Joan who is staying with us for a respite period.
- The Christmas Crafts continue with our favorite so far being our beautiful hand-decorated baubles – now completed for all Residents.
- This evening we have planned a Christmas Film Night to be enjoyed with a mince pie and a glass of mulled wine.
- We have received several gifts from Relatives for our Staff to enjoy over the Christmas period. Thank you so much for thinking of us and your kind words as always!
- Unfortunately, due to Tier 4 restrictions, we have had to cancel our Dentist Visit that was supposed to go ahead tomorrow – we have provisionally booked a date for February but will review again nearer the time.
- All of the Priors Mead Team are wishing you a Very Merry Christmas! We hope it is as special as possible; and we are privileged to be able to spend the day with your loved ones. We will be sharing photos of the day on our facebook page.
- Please join us via Zoom on Christmas Day at 10.30am as we open our Christmas Presents:
- We would like to welcome aboard Ellen who has just started with us as a Live-In Carer.
- Weekly testing kits have been distributed to all HomeCare Staff to complete on a weekly basis. Once completed, please contact Paige between Monday and Friday to register the test.
- Paige will be calling to remind all Carers who have yet to collect their tests kits to do so as soon as possible.
Suggestions continue to be welcome. Please share them with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you all for your continued support and understanding.
Nick & Sarah Bruce